Monday, September 28, 2009
Assessing cycling abilities
Components of Physical Fitness:
Health Related components: Those factors that are related to how well the systems of your body work
1. Cardiovascular Fitness: The ability of the circulatory system (heart and blood vessels) to supply oxygen to working muscles during exercise.
2. Body Composition: The relative percentage of body fat compared to lean body mass (muscle, bone, water,etc)
3. Flexibility: The range of movement possible at various joints.
4. Muscular strength: The amount of force that can be produced by a single contraction of a muscle
5. Muscular endurance: The ability of a muscle group to continue muscle movement over a length of time.
Skill Related Components: Those aspects of fitness which form the basis for successful sports participation.
1. Speed: The ability to move quickly from one point to another
2. Agility: The ability of the body to change direction quickly
3. Balance: The ability to maintain an upright posture while still or moving
4. Coordination: Integration with hand and/or foot movements with the input of the senses.
5. Reaction Time: Amount of time it takes to get moving.
6. Power: The ability to do strength work at an explosive pace.
The Components required for Cycling:
1. Endurance: The ability to continue a ride at an aerobic effort level without the onset of undue fatigue. This is specific to an event, and is the most basic and important ability.
2. Speed Skills: The ability to move the pedals quickly and efficiently, while being totally relaxed.
3. Force: The ability to overcome resistance as in climbing short steep hills or turning a bigger gear, or riding into a head wind.
4. Muscular Endurance: The ability to sustain a high muscular effort for a sustained or prolonged period of time, as in a time trial. This is a combination of force and endurance.
5. Anaerobic Endurance: The ability to resist fatigue while turning a high cadence in a bigger gear. A combination of speed and endurance.
6. Power: The ability to apply maximum force in the shortest time possible. A combination of force and speed.
Above was extracted from various sources.