Amazon Contextual Product Ads

Monday, October 4, 2010

My optimal cadence range for the Kilo and Flying 200

What is my optimal cycling cadence range for the kilo and flying 200 meter time trial?

Honestly I really don't know. But it would appear that at my current level of fitness, age and past performance - my optimal cadence range seems to be between 95 to 120 rpms for the Kilo and flying 200 meter. It seems like I prefer the lower cadences and larger gears, but this leads to muscular fatigue.

I read in the US Cycling manual, that a track cyclist should be able to maintain about 133 rpms for a duration of 7 minutes in a typical endurance race gear.....huh?

I guess as we get older the cardiovascular system is not as good as when we were "newer" -  like a new car engine versus a car with 100,000 miles on the engine. Maybe that is why I choose to go with bigger gears and shorter events.Optimal cadence is a trade off between cycling economy, power output and the development of fatigue.

For me to achieve my times in the Kilo and Flying 200 meter, then I would have to increase my cadence range to between 110 - 125 rpms. Also depending on the distance of the event I would then have to pick the right gear which would allow me to achieve this average cadence range.

For the Flying 200 meter it would have to be a gear between a 98" to 108" depending on the line I take, type of track and weather conditions.

For the Kilo it would have to be a gear between 92 to 96 depending on type of track and weather conditions.

No comments: